Africa Youth Conference and Programming
Africa's large youthful population presents the continent with a great opportunity to harness the potential of youth in the realization of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Moreover, it also presents an excellent opportunity for the continent; larger markets for locally manufactured goods, and a larger workforce of energetic, enthusiastic and well-educated youth which promotes the growth of industry and stimulates investment.
In this regard, UN Women, in collaboration with diverse stakeholders and partners, is developing a joint regional programme focusing on youth in Africa. In this regard, an Africa Youth Conference will be held at the United Nations Office in Nairobi, from 23-25 October 2018. The Conference, “Unleashing the Potential of Youth in Africa- Prioritizing Investment in Youth Development in the Post-2015 Agenda ”, is a continental convening designed to open up spaces for young people to contribute to inclusive and equitable development and decision-making processes within the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- To provide an inclusive platform for young people to engage in a dialogue with themselves and decision makers including government, CSOs and private sector to share ideas, experiences and innovative approaches for effectively addressing youth development challenges facing Africa;
- To engage African countries and organizations including CSOs that will act as youth champions to push for the youth agenda in the localization and implementation of SDGs; and
- To inform a Joint Regional Programme focusing on the youth in Africa.
- Enhancing youth access to sustainable livelihood through social entrepreneurship;
- Youth focused engagement and participation in governance/political participation, leadership and decision making;
- Youth action in preventing violence and other harmful practices against young women and girls in Africa; and
- Showcasing and documenting youth-led innovative solutions/approaches addressing youth challenges in Africa.