Media Advisory: UN Women and Key Stakeholders to host an Africa Youth Conference in Nairobi
Date: Friday, October 19, 2018
WHAT: The commitment to ‘leave no one behind’ has been a key feature of all the discussions on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Towards this end, UN Women, in collaboration with diverse stakeholders and partners, will hold an Africa Youth Conference on Unleashing the Potential of Youth in Africa - Prioritizing Investment in Youth Development in the Post-2015 Agenda, from 23 – 25 October 2018, at the United Nations Office in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Conference is an Africa-wide convening designed to open spaces for young people to contribute to inclusive and equitable development and decision-making processes within the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals. It will provide a platform for young people to engage in dialogue with themselves and decision makers including government, CSOs and private sector to share ideas, experiences and innovative approaches for effectively addressing youth development challenges facing Africa.
The specific conference themes are:
- Enhancing youth access, especially young women and girls, to sustainable livelihood through social entrepreneurship;
- Youth engagement in governance, political participation, leadership and decision making with a focus on ensuring access, active participation and decision making by young women;
- Youth action in preventing violence and other harmful practices against young women and girls; and
- Showcasing and documenting youth-led social innovations addressing development challenges facing Youth in Africa.
WHEN: 23-25 October 2018
WHERE: United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) - Gigiri
- Prof Margaret Kobia - Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Public Service, Youth and Gender Affairs (Kenya)
- Hanna S. Tetteh -Director General, United Nations Office in Nairobi (UNON)
- Siddharth Chatterjee, United Nations Resident Coordinator and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Resident Representative to Kenya
Martha Wanjala, +254725247454